*I have a new site! You will be redirected to it in 5 seconds!

pooping on parties left & right



0 comments

I thought it would be easy to save in South Korea because living costs are lower and I only have 40 contacts in my cell phone. I realized that 40 contacts here is equivalent to the 300+ contacts I have in Canada. I'm being asked to go out every weekend and some weekdays - usually to party. Im not saying potluck party, I'm saying drinking and clubbing until the night/morning strikes four, and you have to take a pricy cab back from Seoul because all the subways and buses are closed.


I usually say no, based on the fact that I'm poor and I make it up by asking them out for coffee. But, I can see that when I tell them I'm taking a trip to Boseong (a town in the south of the country with beautiful green tea plantations) that they think I'm not that poor. If I could afford to go there, I can surely afford a "couple" drinks.



And when they express interest in coming with me, I hesitate. You see, I want to take take a frugal trip. I want to take busses instead of cabs, and sleep uncomfortably on the floor at a guest house vs a mattress at a hotel (about 6X the price). I want to eat instant noodles for breakfast instead of food with crazy touristy pricing. I know these particular friends are more wealthy and would take none of that.

I guess this is how social stratification exists. Sigh.

The downside of saving: a dwindling social life. I need to find more frugal friends.

0 comments:

newer post older post