*I have a new site! You will be redirected to it in 5 seconds!

Don't Play Victim



0 comments

Dear woman in the picture above,

I'm going to assume that since your the poster child for #OccupyStudentDebt, that you are an average Jane, drowning in student loans for the rest of your life.

My question to you: Why did it take you 23 years to pay off $32,700? Look at me. I graduated less than two years ago, and I'm making incrementally above minimum wage. I've paid off more than $10,000!



With a rough calculation, it seems like your interest rate is under 2%. (I guess they just took into account inflation rate.) That's very generous, given mine is 5.5% floating interest.

I am a believer of progressive politics. I think that there is always room for improvement in society, and that the government is key in making things fairer for everybody.

But in this case, it's already fair. People with student loans are not victims. If you borrow something, it's only right to give it back.

Be smart with your money. Don't get pregnant, don't go on unaffordable holidays, and don't buy ridiculously priced designer bags if you can't afford it. It's common sense, really.

Sincerely,
Graduate with student debt who actually takes things into her own hands.

0 comments:

newer post older post